Dryden Community School District
Dryden Community Schools
Policy for Acceptable Use of
Technology and On-line Resources
Access to technology (to include computer systems and networks) owned or operated by Dryden Community Schools grants certain rights to and imposes certain responsibilities upon all users. Access is permitted subject to school policies and local, state, and federal laws.
Dryden Community Schools make no claim as to the accuracy or appropriateness of material found on the Internet or that the operation of the system will be uninterrupted or error-free. The school district does not make any warranties, express or implied, with respect to any services provided on its computer system.
As a result of Dryden Community Schools' mission of educating all students in the essential objectives at a mastery level as well as providing a safe, orderly, supportive environment while promoting skills for successful living and working in a complex society, certain guidelines and rules have been established for all staff, students, and community members who wish to use technological resources. These guidelines and rules are applicable to use of technology in all areas of the school, including the media center, technology lab, computer labs and individual classrooms.
Computer Workstations and On-line Resources Rules
Users must follow any workstation rules for recording their name, time of use, and identification of computer used.
All use of computers and on-line information resources must be in support of education and be consistent with the goals of Dryden Community Schools.
Any use of computers for commercial or for-profit purposes, for product advertisement, or for political lobbying is prohibited.
The illegal or unauthorized installation or transfer of software or files from or to school computers is prohibited. Altering or defacing the Districts network security program, or alter any other system program is subject to disciplining action.
Users may enter only those computer programs authorized by the computer supervisor.
In case of accidental involvement with a questionable site or situation contact lab teacher immediately.
All communications and information accessible via computers should be assumed to be private property and not legal to further copy or disseminate except as allowed by copyright law.
E-mail, and other telecommunications accounts may be used only by the authorized owner of the account. Use is limited to ITV classes with authorization from that teacher. Users shall use due care to protect the integrity of any password issued to them and shall not intentionally seek information about, obtain copies of, or publish passwords belonging to other users. Users who have reason to believe that their password has become known to another person must immediately notify the person responsible for issuing passwords.
Internet passwords may only be used by the authorized owner also.
Follow the copyright laws dictated by current governmental regulations.
Students are not permitted to use the school's computer or network technologies to access Internet chat rooms or bulletin boards or otherwise engage in on-line discussion for personal purposes.
1. The loading of data from outside sources onto school computers without express prior permission by a computer supervisor is strictly prohibited. Any damage to computers resulting from the unauthorized installation of data will be repaired at a cost to the user responsible for the harm done. Any intentional damage to school-owned disks loaned for lab or other purposes will result in a replacement fee charged to the user.
2. Malicious use of computers to develop files that harass other users or infiltrate another computer or computer system and/or damage the software components of another computer or computer system is prohibited.
3. Hate mail, discriminatory remarks, and other antisocial behaviors are prohibited. The user specifically agrees not to submit, publish, or display on any computer or computer system any defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, obscene, profane, pornographic, sexually-oriented, threatening, racially offensive, or illegal information, or software in violation of any local, state, or federal law. Such action is a breach of Board Policies and subjects the user to disciplinary action. The user may also be responsible for any loss, costs, damages, including reasonable attorney fees incurred by the district relating to or arising out of any breach of this section by the user.
4. Each employee, community member, or student who wishes to gain access to computer workstations and/or on-line resources must express agreement to the terms of this Acceptable Use Documents by signing and dating the document and returning it to the school. Each user's executed document will be kept on file in the media center or appropriate office until the user either revokes in writing his/her agreement to the terms expressed herein or leaves the school district. Minor students will be allowed direct access to on-line resources only with the additional express written permission of a parent of guardian.
5. Users who violate the terms of this Policy are subject to disciplinary action as outlined in the Cardinal Guide and Elementary Handbook.
I have read, I understand, and I agree to abide by the Dryden Community Schools Policy for Acceptable Use of Technology and On-line Resources.
User Signature __________________________________________ Date__________________
Also Please Print ___________________________________________
For student users of on-line resources who are under age 18, the signature of a parent/guardian is also required.
I have read, I understand, and I give my permission for the above-named student to have access to on-line resources provided by Dryden Community Schools. I agree that (l) the above named student will abide by the Policy for Acceptable Use of On-line Resources (2) Dryden Community Schools will not be held responsible for any detrimental effect resulting from the student=s use of the system, and (3) I will accept responsibility for any harm resulting from the student=s use of the system.
Parent/Guardian Signature_________________________________ Date__________________
Also please print _____________________________________